MPC857T FEC/MII failure

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Thu Sep 5 04:01:07 EST 2002

Hello,

This one is for the archives.  I resolved the problem a
few weeks ago; if any in the future finds my original
posting, I would like them to find the resolution as well.

Before:

My FEC code (in our debug monitor, not in Linux) set the
FEC's MII_SPEED register as appropriate to give approximately
a 1.24 MHz MDC.  It left MII_DATA uninitialized.  Thus, the
MDC was always running, and my MII_read() and MII_write()
functions would just write the MII_DATA register in order to
do the MII transaction.  This did not work, as my previous
posting described.

After:

My FEC-init code now sets MII_SPEED to 0 and MII_DATA to
0xffffffff.  My MII_read() and MII_write() routines
do the following:

*	Write the FEC's MII_SPEED register to non-zero
*	Write the FEC's MII_DATA register
*	Read back MII_DATA, if doing a read operation
*	Write the FEC's MII_SPEED register to zero

Thus, the MDC now runs only during a transaction, then
gets turned off again.  & now, I can read and write
the PHY's MII registers just fine.