hacking linux - framebuffer console/i2c keyboard

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 5 02:05:36 EST 2002

Hi,

in message <E1836A7F3557D311A14000805F9F36FC0141C86B at usdfo011.usac.danfoss.net> you wrote:

> How would one hack up a i2c keypad interface to appear as a keyboard on a
> system, and get messages to stdout appear on an LCD? Specifically, I'm
> working on 823e. I have no idea where or how to start. I know each thing
> works correctly, that is, I have the i2c keypad and the LCD properly working
> on the system. I'm just at a loss on how to tie it all together.

Check out the LWMON configuration in our kernel sources; see
http://www.denx.de/re/linux.html

The arch/ppc/8xx_io/lwmon_kbd.c  file  implements  a  (very  special)
keyboard  driver  that  is attached over I2C (using the I2C driver in
drivers/i2c/i2c-simple.*).

Hope this helps,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty. You might want  to  mug
someone with it."                   - M. Devine, Computer Science 340