Linux on 8260 using ELDK..Help?!?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 4 23:41:19 EST 2002

Dear flavio,

in message <1E354700654661418593A0D6B5A9D41008943B at mail.azisa.co.za> you wrote:

> I'm a _newbie_ to Linux and am busy porting Linux to a MPC8260ADS
> board. PPCBoot is working fine and the Linux kernel seems to boot up
> okay up and till the point where it begins to load init, it then
> crashes. The trace is shown below. I've also tried forcing sh and

Did you fix the IMMR mapping in PPCBoot? The  CFG_DEFAULT_IMMR  defi-
nition  will  NOT  work with LInux; see the Linux memory map require-
ments - You _must_ map the IMMR at 0xF0000000 or above.

> bash as the start-up but these also fail with similar errors. I'm
> using the binaries provided by the ELDK development package. Also my
> changes to the base kernel code (2.4.4) are minimal and are limited
> to uart.c (force SCC1 as serial port) and tty_io.c (don't call
> rs_8xx_init). Can anyone please point me in the right direction...?

Are you sure this was done well?

> If the information above is not sufficient please let me know what
> more I could provide. Something tries to restart the system and then
> it crashes on trying to reboot. Someone please tell me what I should
> be looking at?

> Freeing unused kernel memory: 52k init

Looks good so far.

> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Did you run the ELDK_MAKEDEV and ELDK_FIXPERM scripts as documented?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In C we had to code our own bugs, in C++ we can inherit them.