Changes I would like to get into the 2_4_devel

Hollis Blanchard hollis at austin.ibm.com
Sat Oct 26 03:46:08 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 12:30, Anders Blomdell wrote:

> in arch/ppc/Makefile:
>    add -D__powerpc__ to CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS (just like it is on  kernel.org)
>      This makes drivers/char/serial.c compile correctly (no more 5 bit
>      characters)
>
> in Makefile:
>    add -D__linux__ to CPPFLAGS
>      This makes coda.h compile correctly (u_quad_t)

<snip>

> I know that you think I have an incorrectly configured gcc, but I think
> that it's a nice feature if the kernel compiles with a gcc that has been
> configured according to the 'http://penguinppc.org/embedded/cross-compiling/
> ', even though it warns about gcc-3.x (3.2 generates working code with the
> above changes)...

This is a handy one-liner for seeing what defines gcc has:
	echo | powerpc-linux-gcc -E -dM -
When I run it with a cross-compiled gcc 2.95.3 *and* 3.2, I see both
	#define __linux__ 1
	#define __powerpc__ 1
The 2.95.3 was compiled with exactly the directions you refer to above.
3.2 was slightly different, but in both cases --target=powerpc-linux .

-Hollis