MPC8260 serial on SCC support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 24 03:44:26 EST 2002

In message <006c01c27aac$fda185e0$db00000a at dejanj> you wrote:

> > > Is there support for serial console on SCC for MPC8260 in latest kernel
> > > distributions included in the ELDK or kernel version on the
> ftp://ftp.denx.de?
> >
> > Yes, of course. See arch/ppc/8260_io/uart.c
>
> Serial is configured once I configured CONFIG_CPU86.

Keep in mind that this is a  board-specific  configuration  which  is
intended  for  the MicroSys CPU86 board only. If it actually works on
your hardware you are really, really lucky.

> After the 'starting xinetd' is completed sucessfuly, my serial output is stuck.
> However I can telnet to my board.
> This means that there is some problem with the serial? (maybe 'getc' or
> something like this).

Usually it just means that your console is not where  you  configured
it. For example, on the CPU86 board you include this code:

#elif   defined(CONFIG_CPU86)
#define CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE_PORT      2
#else

which maps to SCC2. Do you really have your console port on SCC2?

I think it is generally a BAD idea to copy some  board-specific  code
without  checking CAREFULLY what you're doing. You tried, and you got
what you deserved: a non-working system ;-)

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Weekends were made for programming.                 - Karl Lehenbauer