Problems with 2_4_devel & MVME2600 serial interrupts

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Oct 19 06:03:55 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:47:32PM +0200, Anders Blomdell wrote:

> >Seems to me that either:
> >a) the pci_intack value is incorrect for your board, in which case you
> >should correct it
> Shure is, question is if it really should be caught from the pci_intack
> register, as far as I can understand from the MVME2600 doc's, the 8259
> interrupt generates a MPIC-IRQ0, but one has to poll the 8259 to find out
> what device it was that generated the interrupt.

Are you running this as CONFIG_ALL_PPC?  IIRC, under 2_4_devel, this
board should work as CONFIG_PPLUS.  Or it will need minor fixups, which
I have described previously on the lists (and possibly to you as well)
for the OpenPIC table.

> >b) your board's int-ack feature is broken and you'll need to poll
>
> Perhaps an extra field in the 'mot_info' (arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c) is
> called for? This line in prep_init_IRQ (arch/ppc/platforms/prep_setup.c):
>
>   i8259_init(0xbffffff0); /* PCI interrupt ack address for MPC105 and 106
> */
>
> does not look like a general solution.

Well, it's a correct solution for the PReP like PReP machines.  Where in
the continium does the MVME2600 fall exactly?
MPC105/MPC106/Raven/Hawk/Falcon ?  I _think_ this is an example of why
it would really be nice to kill PPLUS support from PReP.  But I know
that will upset some people, so I'm not advocating that for 2.4, and it
looks like we might have to do something similar to the MPC10x test in
the PReP bootwrapper code in 2.5 (and maybe 2.4? I'm not at home, so I
can't easily check).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/