mpc8xx - power save modes - PIT

Patrick Mahoney pmahoney at 8d.com
Fri Oct 18 05:58:28 EST 2002

Hello people,

First of all, this might help some...

HW: rpxlite_dw mpc850
SW: linux 2.4 monta vista

I cut my board's consumption by 800mW by
1) taking off the power leds (100mA)
2) bypassing the power regulator (700mA)

I give 2 sources of current to the board: a 5V and a 3.3V, hence
modelising an ideal regulator. Turns out that the board regulator has
a 66% efficiency.

> > Well the 2.4 Linux kernel does not support runtime modifications to
> > the clock rate. So what's the point of playing with CSCR?
>
> If the CPU is dozing The kernel will never know we changed it as long as
> we change it back when the CPU wakes up.

I 100% agree with you... But it doesn't work... Here are the results I
get:

SCCR[DFHL]:SCCR[DFNL]	| Results
(clock divisers)	|

2x:2x			Works fine

1x:2x			Never wakes up

1x:64x			Kernel oopses
output: "Caused by (from SRR1=40001000): Transfer error ack signal"

SCCR[PRQEN] was '1' for all these tests.

Conn: could you give me the complete values of SCCR and PLPRCR registers?

Thanks again,

Pat Mahoney