Binary Compatibility of various flavors of PPC

Magnus Damm damm at opensource.se
Tue Oct 15 08:14:50 EST 2002

> But as Matt said (and later reminded me) the 405 has errata that is 405
> specific, and the 8xx and 403 half smaller cacheline size.  So anything
> statically linked may not operator correctly....  but yes, if you switch the
> whole of userspace to soft-floating point then "in general" they should all be
> compatable.

I don't know if gcc generates any code that tweaks with the cache, but
if you
only consider applications/libraries that use assembly routines to
control the
cache then it should be possible to convert the assembly code to assume
16-byte
cachelines for all processors. That should work for processors with
larger
cachelines, with a performance penalty. I use a patch for glibc-2.1.3
that does
exactly that. But I've only used it on 8xx-series, so correct me if I'm
wrong.

Btw - does someone know what the status is for recent glibc versions -
do they work for 8xx out of the box?

Thanks /

magnus