very minor 405GP and 405GPr PCI difference

Andrew May acmay at acmay.homeip.net
Sat Oct 12 05:37:20 EST 2002

Sorry about the late reply but I wanted to check the 2.5 tree and I haven't
been looking at it before.

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:58:28AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:21:36PM -0700, Andrew May wrote:
> >
> > A full featured bootloader like PPCboot will need to setup the PCI bus
> > to work with PCI devices, so it is not like it is always an extra burden
> > on the bootloader or useless work.
>
> That's all very well if you've got PPCboot, but lots of boards have
> firmware which is, lets face it, shite.  The kernel has to be able to
> deal with this case.  And since it has to deal with it for the case of
> crappy firmware, is there any point turning it off for the case of
> decent firmware?

Yes there is a point. I am working on a new custum PCI device and the
hardware guy gives me silly requests to try differnt PCI bus settings.
And I would much rather make the changes in my small quick PPCBoot build
rather than a full kernel build.

> > So I just want you to keep in mind the PCI bus fixup can be a config
> > option that can be built out if desired. It really shouldn't be tied
> > to the board itself, since it is also common to load in PPCboot into
> > Walnut boards.
>
> That's easy - in fact the patch I posted before allows this (it won't
> do anything if CONFIG_BIOS_FIXUP is not defined).

Well you patch is only part of the issue, it is the rest of
arch/ppc/kernel/4xx/ppc405_pci.c that gets pulled in every build with PCI,
that remapps everything in _find_bridges.