8xx i2c refers to unspecified chip errata

Barker Michael-r43496 Michael.D.Barker at motorola.com
Thu Oct 10 06:14:58 EST 2002

Hi - I've been looking at the i2c driver for MPC8260.  It's the first linux driver I have studied.  I have a couple of questions.

What experimental results or theory are behind the timeout values chosen when waiting for an interrupt from a write transaction?

Also: in the drivers/i2c/i2c-algo-cpm.c or i2c-algo-8xx.c file, I see the following a few times.  What two chip errata are the comments referring to?  A specific errata number would be enlightening.

---------snip
/* Chip errata, clear enable.
*/
i2c->i2c_i2mod = 0;

---------snip
/* Chip bug, set enable here */
save_flags(flags); cli();
i2c->i2c_i2cmr = 0x13;	/* Enable some interupts */
i2c->i2c_i2cer = 0xff;
i2c->i2c_i2mod = 1;	/* Enable */
i2c->i2c_i2com = 0x81;	/* Start master */

Thanks for your attention -

--
Michael D. Barker, Motorola SPS Canada
This email along with any attachments is classified as: