bi_record and initrd

Magnus Damm damm at opensource.se
Mon Nov 18 19:19:24 EST 2002

> This would be a good opportunity to switch-over to allowing the bootloader
> stick the initrd where it wants and just pass the physical pointer in via
> bi_record in all cases.  It would certainly simplify these cases.

So, the following registers passed to the kernel could change from

 *   r3: ptr to board info data
 *   r4: initrd_start or if no initrd then 0
 *   r5: initrd_end - unused if r4 is 0
 *   r6: Start of command line string
 *   r7: End of command line string

 *   r3: ptr to bi_record

If the initrd is going to be passed with the bi_record, and the command line
already is there, then it's just the board info left. (for the 8xx anyhow)

Or maybe there are zillions of applications booting the kernel directly
without the bootloader..

/ magnus