gdbserver and gdb cross debug?

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se
Mon Nov 18 19:16:03 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 02:43, sjk wrote:

> "William A. Gatliff" wrote:
>
> > Jikun:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:39:07PM +0800, sjk wrote:
> > > I am porting Linux on EP405 board. So I use gdbserver and gdb to debug
> > > applications,but only the first
> > > breakpoint could be stopped.Then if i press 'step', the program will
> > > execute to end straightforwardly . Any other breakpoints could not break
> > > the execution.
> >
> > Have you compiled the application in question with optimizations?  Gdb
> > isn't so good at debugging optimized code.  Compile with -g -O0 if you
> > intend to debug.
>
> I tried to compile hello.c as following:
>
> ppc_405-gcc -g -O0 -o hello hello.c
>
> Then set up the connection of gdbserver and ppc_405-gdb. The program could not
> be debugged step by step either.
> Is it possible that there is bug in ptrace.c or traps.c
>

> Thanks a lot
>
> Jikun

I have looked into this some more and could not find any problem on the
kernel side(this is no guarantee that none exist). I also get the same
problem with the gdb version from debian (woody)and a fresh compile of
5.2.

However using the gdb 5.1.1 from ELDK 2.0 makes single step work but it
steps right into functions that have no debugging information and I
think step is supposed to avoid this.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
164 80 Stockholm                  kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se