ppc_8xx-gcc 2.95.3 Monta Vista does not do ANY loop unrolling

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Nov 13 05:40:25 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 05:46:49PM +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > Now to the trick question(s):
> > > Where might it be suitable to add -funroll-loops or, better yet, can it be done
> > > with a pragma or attribute attached to the function in question? It's pretty
> > > hard to unroll inline functions otherwise (and only the inline function).
> >
> > Well, to lib/Makefile:
> > ifeq ($(CONFIG_PPC32),y)
> > CFLAGS_crc32.o += -funroll-loops
> > endif
> >
> > Should work.  And it's not unheard of.
>
> Yes, that much I already figured, but are there OTHER places in
> the kernel that also might benefit from unrolling. I don't know the
> kernel as well as you do and was hoping for a lead or two.

Not really.  Unfortunatly what might be better is to figure out how it
works on i386, and then figure out how to duplicate that logic on PPC,
maybe making it another flag and then turned on for different sizes
based on -mtune.

> > >  Any progress on the i2c-algo-8xx.c and/or 8xx_io/enet.c patches I sent earlier?
> >
> > As I said privatly, Dan Malek is handling the enet patch, and I'm
> > looking for time to do the i2c one.  Right now I'm working on making the
> > kernel easier to tweak (in some ways) for 2.5.
>
> I know Dan is handling the enet stuff, but since you both work
> for MV(don't you?) I figured you might know, being an insider and all :-)

I don't follow you.  Dan doesn't work for MVista now.

> Maybe your tweak stuff could make use of forced unrolling?

Eventually, it could be used for turning it on or off for the whole
kernel, or for a specific area even, once I get Makefile tweaks working.
First I'm trying to get dependancies right.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/