dc* (Data Cache) instructions in mem*() and *_page() functions not used on 8xx

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se
Sat Nov 2 06:27:58 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Malek" <dan at embeddededge.com>
To: <joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se>
Cc: <linuxppc-embedded at lists.linuxppc.org>
Sent: den 1 november 2002 18:33
Subject: Re: dc* (Data Cache) instructions in mem*() and *_page() functions not used on 8xx

> Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>
> > Dan, could you add the missing code for 8xx to detect the exception conditions when
> > the cache instructions faulted? I would like to give it a try.
>
> It's not very high on my list of things to do.  As I recall, the VM fault
> handler may need knowledge of a dcbz fault and use a different method to
> determine the address.  I also have this funny feeling that it isn't a
> restartable operation, so we may have to emulate the instruction when
> the fault occurs.

I don't follow you here, do you need to do all this for a modern(>=D4) 8xx CPU?
I hope not, but something needs to be done since copytofrom_user does not
work for me.

> I know you can write a test that would show this to be a performance
> benefit, which would just copy/zero lots of data, but that's not a real
> world application.
>
> IMHO, it's lots of work for little, if any, gain.  It has some specific
> uses in specialized applications, but I don't think it's a general speed up
> solution.
>
>  > Maybe add a new CONFIG option to allow 8xx to use these optimizations when
> > explicitly enabled.
>
> How would you know when to do this?  It seldom appeared in any errata
> so you couldn't know for certain if a particular chip version would
> allow this.  I suspect people (like I have chosen to do) will just never
> use the optimization because the software will always work in this case.
> I don't like solutions that depend on luck or trial and error.

Pretty much like the 8xx_CPU6 errata. If a user has a CPU with this bug,
he must enable it. If you have a fairly new CPU you don't have to.

The same resoning goes for the new option. If you have a new enough(>=D4) CPU,
then you can enable this optimization(I think?!). I am not talking about enabling
workarounds for non functioning CPUs in runtime. Take me for example,
our boards will never use anything older than D4 since it's a new design.

      Jocke