cramfs root filesystem corruption

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 31 16:44:08 EST 2002

In message <200205301450.50112.pruhland at microwavedata.com> you wrote:

> The cramfs image is in flash, mounted as root via mtd blockdevice.
>
> Typically the error occurs during flash reprogramming ( using mtd char device
> '/dev/mtd0' ) ...during/after flash programming the cramfs filesystem 'loses'
> information ( files disappear ).  The errors from syslog are 'error during
> decompression', typically the error numbers ( from 'linux/zlib_fs.h' ) are
> Z_BUF_ERROR, for the first error,  and Z_DATA_ERROR for the rest.  I've got

Ummm... can you please explain EXACTLY what you are doing? You have a
cramfs in flash, mounted as root, and you are erasing and overwriting
the SAME cramfs partition WHILE RUNNING FROM IT?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Wisdom is one of the few things that looks bigger the further away it
is.                               - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_