Poor 8260 FCC Ethernet performance

Allen Curtis acurtis at onz.com
Fri May 31 13:42:31 EST 2002

> The 8260 Ethernet controller needs to know about the duplex mode in which
> the PHY operates. The driver sets it to half duplex by default, and needs
> the feed back of the PHY to set it to full duplex.
>
> As you may know, the hub always operates in half duplex, while the switch
> usually operates in full duplex, if it is directly connected to your unit,
> and your PHY accepts to negociate to full duplex.

Yes, the source code has been modified to force full-duplex.
(fcc_restart(dev,1) if I remember correctly :) In fact, before this change
was made Ethernet communications did not work at all. (At least it would not
get past bootp) I searched for something that looked like it was speed
related but found nothing. (Other than the MII reporting)

Other ideas?

BTW: We are using a BCM switch for our PHY. The interface to the processor
is always full-duplex, 100BT regardless of the external connections. Hence
the no MII PHY option.