MPC8xx USB host mode

Christian Schroeder christian.schroeder at imms.de
Thu May 30 21:58:08 EST 2002

Hi all,

I try to enable the USB host controller on a mpc823 (TQM832L-Board).
The CPU is a mpc823e (PPC823EZTnnB2)

1. I collected and read all information from the web and this mailing
   list.
2. I got Brad Parkers's m8xxhci driver rev. 2 from heeltoe.com
3. I did some modifications in the driver source.
   - USE_TIMER1_FOR_SOF
   - USE_PA4_CLK4
4. I disabled the POLL_FOR_HUB code

If I boot the target, all seems ok.

If I connect a usb keyboard to the target, I get theese messages
(the keyboard contains a usb 5 port hub):

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 7
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 5 ports detected
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1/4, assigned device number 8
usb.c: USB device driver not accepting new addres=8 (error=-110)
usb.c: USB new device connect on bus 1/1/4 assigned device number 9
input0: USB HIDBP Keyboard 046a:0001 on on usb1:9.0

If I press the keyboard - nothing occurs ...
I dont't know, why the driver needs two tries to recognize the keyboard.
The TQM823L-Board uses a Philips USB Transceiver and I did not insert
the delay gates between the mpc and the transceiver. If I remove the
keyboard, the following messages occur:

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 7
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 9
rh_port_enable(0)

If I connect a Thunderbird 4-Port USB HUB, the following messages occur:

rh_port_reset(1)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 10
usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)

or

rh_port_reset(1)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
hub.c: Unable to get hub status (err=-110)
hub.c: hub configuration failed for device #2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x3eb/0x3301) is not claimed by any active driver

Now - does the driver work or not or partially and do I need to insert
the delay gates between mpc an usb transceiver ?

Thanks for any answers.
Christian Schroeder

Dr.-Ing. Christian Schroeder
Institut fuer Mikroelektronik- und Mechatronik-Systeme
Langewiesener Strasse 22
98693 Ilmenau
Telefon: +49 3677 678315
Telefax: +49 3677 678337