linux booting

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 28 18:23:51 EST 2002

In message <002901c2061c$1d564840$7301a8c0 at zhongqx> you wrote:

>    I use ppcboot to booting linux ,but linux cann't go on when malloc some memory.My board is FADS860T,
> it has 4M DRAM(in physical 0---3fffff) and 4M SDRAM(in physical address is 03000000-033fffff),when ppcboot
> run up,i use bdi command find it tell me total memory is 8M which is from 0 to 7fffff.i think ppcboot maped
> two memory block into one continuous memory block(are i right?).when ppcboot boot linux it pass bdi to linux,
> so i don't know whether linux kernel  understand the memory 0---7fffff is actualy  two memory block which
> is 0----3fffff and 03000000 -033fffff.who can tell me how to understand this.sorry for my bad english.thank

The Linux boot messages contain information about how much memory  it
found; search for a line like this:

Memory: 62604k available (1164k kernel code, 540k data, 52k init, 0k highmem)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engi-
neers. While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the
more certain."                           - Baron Rothschild, ca. 1800