Un-killable process???

Dean McBride dmcbride at sgss.com
Wed May 22 06:58:40 EST 2002

Hello,

I have a process I can't kill (kill -9) without rebooting the system.  I've
attempted
attaching strace, gdb, etc. to the process, but each of those task just
hang.  I
can however kill those task (strace, gdb).  I've looked through the /proc/<pid>
area, but don't really know what I'm looking for or at!  The task seems to be
somehow stuck on some resource, but I don't know which one or how to find
out.  I'm running with Linux 2.4.10-pre10 on a 4 processor Power PC with
512Mbytes of memory.  The process is reading data from a PMC card.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I've include some more information below!

Thanks
Dean

Here's the output from the ps command:
    74 root     root     R /opt/ds/src/lm1/bin/lm1_read -s 4 -m 255 -f 4000
-a -r -u 2 -g 1

Heres the /proc/74/status file

sh-2.03# more /proc/74/status
Name:   lm1_read