How to configure 2 ethernet devices

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 16 07:15:33 EST 2002

In message <3CE2C6CB.20402 at embeddededge.com> Dan Malek wrote:

> If you like to use DNS, routing or other networking features you have
> to use some kind of userland configuration to make that happen.

Rigth, for more complicated configurations this is the way to go.

> I think it's kind of amusing when you use "dynamic" configuration to
> get a network configuration to boot a kernel, then have a bunch of
> static configuration files to support the application environment :-)
> If you are always booting from the same server on the same static
> network, why not just boot a ramdisk with some static configuration
> and network set up?  It will boot up faster.

But we don't have a static configuration. We use something like this:

=> setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):$(serverip):$(gatewayip):$(netmask):$(hostname):$(netdev):off

Right,  we  use  PPCBoot  as  firmware  and  get  all  the  "dynamic"
configuration   by  PPCBoot's  feature  to  define,  store,  and  use
variables.

> If you are truly using a dynamic environment where you could plug in
> anywhere and have the application automatically adapt, you need to
> follow through with dynamic userland configuration.

... not when we can pass all the necessary parameters on the  command
line (or in bi_recs :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of  claiming  I
never made one.                                     - James G. Bennet