Why system panic after sometimes?

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Fri May 10 21:53:14 EST 2002

Sorry to be replying to a reply, but I inadvertently deleted the first one
in this thread...

A panic due to a FPM emulation trap is almost always a memory read
problem.  Your processor is erroneously reading the value 0xFFxxxxxx, which
is a floating point instruction.  This causes a floating point emulation
trap to occur because your 8xx processor doesn't have hardware floating point.

Your memory subsystem is not stable.  Check the usual suspects: burst cache
line reading with marginal UPM parameters is #1, #2, and #3.  I would guess
that a board design problem is #4 and bad memory is #5.  Since you run for
longer periods of time, burst cache line reading is less likely in your
case (this usually shows up right away, during the boot process of linux).

Good luck, you are going to need it :-(
gvb