Performance on PPC8xx using string and multiple load instructions?

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Fri May 10 03:23:37 EST 2002

Hello,

	Does anyone know how using the -mstring and -mmultiple GCC
code optimization switches affect performance on the PPC8xx ? The
book I have on PPC assembly says the use of the string and
load-multiple instrutions may be signifigantly slower than the
multiple instruction equivalent on some processors. It does not tell
me which processors or why. I think it might be due to ther fact
that multiple instructions can be paired in multi instruction
pipelined chips. Since the 8xx has only a sigle pipeline I was
wondering if this was the case.

	In the kernel source they use the -mmultiple and -mstring
switches in the architecture dependant code. This may be done to
reduce codeIf these are
instructions signifigantly slower on some processors is this a good
idea to have them as default optimizations for all processors?

	If anybody ever benchmarked code with these instructions
on an 8xx processor or other processor I would like to see the
results.

Thanks in advance

	Conn

  If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark at esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com