Bogomips and loops_per_jiffy

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Fri May 10 01:08:46 EST 2002

> > >	while ((next_dec = tb_ticks_per_jiffy - tb_delta(&jiffy_stamp)) < 0)
> > >{
> > >
> > >Now that next_dec is unsigned, this condition is always false.
>
> Yes I wrote this in the most possible compact way.  But I don't understand
> (yet) how this can cause problems. You have a security margin of about 2
> billion timbase ticks.

The problem occurs when calibrating the delay loop, and the timebase is
very large.

http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-embedded/200205/msg00040.html

We could probably just avoid all this and do 'set_tb(0,0)' in time_init
(since we go and try to sync the timebase on SMP systems anyway)

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz