Bogomips and loops_per_jiffy

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Thu May 9 04:06:06 EST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:53:39PM -0400, Jean-Denis Boyer wrote:

> Troy,
> with the patch, now, it completely hangs.
> The reason is that in timer_interrupt()
>
> 	while ((next_dec = tb_ticks_per_jiffy - tb_delta(&jiffy_stamp)) < 0)
> {
>
> Now that next_dec is unsigned, this condition is always false.

Yeah, I was a little too quick to go messing with tb_delta. Benh and I
were talking on IRC and the original code does a bunch of signed vs
unsigned stuff and should probably be made more explicit as to what it's
actually doing. (Especially since I don't completely understand the
intention of this code yet)

> Here is another patch I suggest to replace yours.
> Its in attachement to this email.
> I tested it, and it seems OK.
>
> I did not include your modification made to the type of local variables in
> function do_settimeofday().
> I do not see how it is related to our problem.

I got carried away cleaning up stuff ;)

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz