initrd in 2.4.19

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri May 3 10:14:13 EST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:13:30AM -0700, Brian Kuschak wrote:

> > I want to use pivot_root, so I don't use the special /linuxrc running
> > code.  Instead I use "init=/linuxrc" as part of the command line.  If
> > you do this your first script should work fine (pivot follwed by
> > chroot).  But to be honest, I don't chroot.  I don't think it's
> > necessary.
>
> Using init=/linuxrc allows my first script to work.
>
> However, it's a bit restrictive:  if I want to override the usual boot
> sequence and get the kernel to mount the real root and drop into a shell I
> can't use this method.  With the 'old-style' script, I can set
> "init=/bin/bash".  These get applied AFTER /linuxrc terminates.  If I use
> your method, I can't do that.

Remember that any kernel command line options that the kernel doesn't
recognize get passed to init - as environment variables if they
contain a "=" and as command line arguments otherwise.  So it's fairly
easy to invent a new parameter to control the "real" init and have
your linuxrc interpret it and act accordingly.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson