Linux on 440GP Networking issues

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu May 2 10:24:52 EST 2002

    Todd> Could verify whether the lockup is related to configuring 2
    Todd> EMACs by a hack to ppc405_enet_open to return -ENODEV if
    Todd> fep->emac_num > 0.

Here's another data point.  I just got my ebony today, and in my
initial testing running nothing but the kernel and busybox, I got an
oops if I did "ifconfig" (looked like it came from somewhere near
register_gifconf).  I changed EMAC_NUMS in ibm440.h to 1 (from 2) and
now ifconfig works fine.

However, I didn't experience any crashes, even with EMAC_NUMS equal to
2, running with NFS root.

Best,
  Roland