initial shell respawning too fast

Frank Haverkamp f.haverkamp at web.de
Fri Mar 22 19:53:37 EST 2002

Hi,

I have seen that behaviour when I used a kernel without math
emulation on a filesystem which had binaries not compiled with
-mcpu=403 having floating point instructions in them.

The missbehavior was caused because sh/bash crashed due an invalid
instruction and init was trying to respawn it of course without
success.

#! /bin/bash
#
# Here's a useful little one-liner that lets you find out if there are any
# floating point instructions in an object file.
#

OBJDUMP=/opt/fsp/i586-pc-linux-gnu/local/bin/powerpc-linux-objdump

function usage()
{
    echo "Here's a useful little one-liner that lets you find out if there"
    echo "are any floating point instructions in an object file."
    echo
    echo "Usage: $(basename $0) ppc-objfile"
}

if [ -z $1 ]; then
        usage
        exit
else
        $OBJDUMP -S $1 | egrep \
        'mtfsf|lfd|lfs|stfd|stflwx|stfs|:[ \t]*(fc|fd|fe|ff|ec|ed|ee|ef) ';
fi

exit 0

I found this script which finds out if there are any floating point
instructions in you binaries/libraries. I copied it somewhere and
hope that the one you originally wrote it is ok with seeing this
published ;-)

Frank

--
Frank Haverkamp
f.haverkamp at web.de
Die Nummer, die sich jeder merkt: Ihre 01212 Wunschrufnummer von WEB.DE!
Jetzt sichern: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=990001