Question regarding the clear_page function

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Fri Mar 22 04:09:13 EST 2002

Neil Horman wrote:

> .....  My question is, why is this not the case for the
> 8XX series as well?

The behavior of this instruction during faults and exceptions has often
been incorrect and the different silicon revisions behave differently.
Rather than track all of the different silicon variants, install and
test all of the patches, it is easier to just not use it.

> ....  I'm asking because I'm testing a modifed kernel in which
> we use the dcbz instruction rather than 4 stores, and we curious as to what
> consequences I might expect.

You are probably experiencing them :-).

	-- Dan