initial shell respawning too fast

Oliver Amft oam at oamx.net
Thu Mar 21 05:02:50 EST 2002

I am trying to boot Linux (linuxppc_2_4_devel 2.4.19-pre1) from a
Walnut,
405GP Rev D board - All works fine till INIT starts (see screen
printout below). The root fs (nfs boot) is an older version of the
HardHat filesystem. bash crashes somehow, but unforunatly it prints no
report. An old HHL 2.4.0-test2 kernel still works with this root fs.

INIT: version 2.77 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: Id "sh" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
INIT: Id "sh" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "sh" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "sh" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "sh" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Probably I am missing some trivial thing - any ideas welcome!

Oliver