Formatting JFFS2 Flash

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Thu Mar 14 04:53:46 EST 2002

Question:

Did you initialise the FS with

cat jffs2.image > /dev/mtd0

before you tried to mount /mtdblock0 ?

If you did not, then kernel threads will indeed start formatting the FS after you mount it.

2nd question:

Did you use an empty directory with mkfs.jffs2 to make your jffs2.image?  This doesn't work - you
end up with a 0 length jffs2.image!  If this was the case then even if you did initialise the FS
with "cat jffs2.image > /dev/mtd0" you will still find the kernel threads format the FS after you
mount it.

I think this is a bug - the workaround is to use a non-empty folder to make your jffs2.image from.

Alex