Can I run linux without a file system?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 22 07:23:54 EST 2002

In message <45B36A38D959B44CB032DA427A6E10640167CFE3 at cceexc18.americas.cpqcorp.net> you wrote:

> Hmm, my minimal rootfs is (so far) 7 Mb, (as reported by du -s).
> Or, is this 4Mb you cite compressed?  I wonder because my
> libc.so is over 5 Mb. (which I got from DENX eldk-1.0)

Have a look at the SELF Makefile... you should run

$(CROSS_PREFIX)strip --remove-section=.note --remove-section=.comment *.so

on all libraries on the trarget filesystem.

> Any hints or links to into on crunching down the
> individual libraries would be helpful.

And for really limited cases there is ulibc, the  library  optimizer,
etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Ill-chosen abstraction is particularly evident in the design  of  the
ADA  runtime  system.  The  interface to the ADA runtime system is so
opaque that it is impossible to model  or  predict  its  performance,
making it effectively useless for real-time systems.
- Marc D.  Donner and David H. Jameson.