Can I run linux without a file system?

Tim Lai laitingwai at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 05:42:34 EST 2002

I am interested in both input/output operation
on the console. If I just set CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE,
will I be able read input from the console?
The main application will be started from init(),
and the application will need to read and write
to the console. Are there are method to communicate
to the serial port other than open("/dev/ttyS0")?