trouble mmapping dma buffer

Steve Rossi srossi at labs.mot.com
Wed Jun 19 03:00:42 EST 2002

Found the problem ... consistent_alloc has changed between 2.4.16 and 2.4.19.
In 2.4.19 it allocates a new virtual memory area and returns addresses in the
new virtual area. remap_page_range can't handle this properly - actually to my
understanding, remap_pte_range doesn't handle it because it does
virt_to_page(__va(phys_addr)) which doesn't return the correct virtual address
in the new virtual memory area. Is this intentional - that consistent_alloc
returns addresses that can't be mmapped? Is there a better way of allocating a
DMA buffer in RAM and remapping it to user space? For now I'm using an
allocation routine based on the 2.4.16 version of consistent_alloc, and that
works.

Steve

Steven K. Rossi                     srossi at labs.mot.com
Senior Staff Engineer