Accessing the user stack inside system call service routine

Neil Horman nhorman at lvl7.com
Fri Jun 14 01:11:55 EST 2002

Ahh, so you had already covered the addressing point.  sorry.  Well, the next
thing that would occur to me is that 128 bytes of all zero's may be ok.  I'm not
quite sure of the details of the inner workings of the standard C library for
this situation, but right before the code in the C library executes a trap
instruction to make the reuqested system call, it may append extra data to the
last user space stack frame.  I know this happens during signal handling.
Granted that call stack is transitioning the other way, but you see the same
sort of behavior, in which the first "stack frame" is not really a stack frame,
but rather a block of data which is removed before a return to the application
at the point where it called the library function.  I would suggest that you try
   copying more than 128 bytes to see if you start seeing valid stack frames, or
more directly, invistigate the C library code which wraps around the system call
in user space to see if it makes and strange manipulations to the stack frame
before executing a trap.  Good luck!
Neil

--
*Neil Horman