Accessing the user stack inside system call service routine

Steffen Rumler Steffen.Rumler at icn.siemens.de
Thu Jun 13 17:43:27 EST 2002

Hello,

I want to access/record the user stack within the system call
service routine sys_sigsuspend() (arch/ppc/signal.c),
in order to debug hanging threads.

The user register context is passed to sys_sigsuspend() via
the 'struct pt_regs *regs' argument.

In this way I can obtain the stack pointer r1
(via regs->gpr[1]) and catch the PPC EABI stack frames.

But I see all zeros behind 'regs->gpr[1]' instead of proper
stack frames. What is wrong ?

How can I access the user stack within a
system call service routine (sys_XXX) ?

Thank you for help,

Steffen

Steffen Rumler
ICN ON PNE SB 4
Siemens AG
Hofmannstr. 51                 Email: Steffen.Rumler at icn.siemens.de
D-81359 Munich                 Phone: +49 89 722-44061
Germany                        Fax  : +49 89 722-36703