Ebony bootloader

Matt Porter porter at cox.net
Wed Jun 12 12:51:30 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 04:43:37PM -0700, Khai Trinh wrote:

> Does the Ebony board port implement a bootloader? What

It uses the "simple" bootloader.

> does the head_440.S file do in a nutshell?

init MMU and jump to start_kernel.

> If our custom board has peripheral devices hanging off
> the EBC0, how should I initilize them and where in the
> ebony port code? I browsed the source a little bit and
> see the ebony.c source. I believe this is where you
> add peripheral devices to the kernel. Am I right?

You can add then wherever you want, but ideally you would
create a <custom_board>.c with board specific I/O code.

> What is that ioremap64() anyway? Is this a kernel call
> or a called supported by the firmware?

Read Understanding Linux, Linux Device Drivers, and the
documentation in Documentation/ directory.  ioremap64()
is a version of ioremap() for >32-bit physical address
systems (440, 745x).

Regards,
--
Matt Porter