no virtual terminals problem

Matt Porter porter at cox.net
Wed Jun 12 12:40:44 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 05:35:21PM +0000, Shie Erlich wrote:

> hi people,
> we're using hardhat with kernel 2.4.2. our system has a serial
> port, through which we're using the serial console.
> also, we have a PMC adapter on board, and we're trying to
> use it with a VGA card. we took a PCI VGA card (ATI RAGEpro),
> and attached it to the board, through a PCI2PMC adapter.
> /proc/pci identifies the card, and also the framebuffer device
> seems to recognize it, but all we get on screen is some green trash.

Let's step back and recognize who writes most of the commodity
VGA card FB drivers in the kernel.  x86 developers.  That means
that most of these drivers are incomplete for platforms that
don't have an x86 BIOS to perform the chipset's core initialization.

99% of time this is due to having a driver that doesn't fully
initialize the chipset.

FWIW, a full xpert98 driver was submitted to the fb team but seems
to have disappeared in all my searches.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter