First cut at large page support on 40x

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Jun 6 18:17:54 EST 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 03:58:28AM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> Paul Mackerras wrote:
> >.... If a driver uses
> >consistent_alloc or pci_alloc_consistent, the driver should save and
> >use the physical address returned by those functions.
>
> But, that's a relatively new addition and the support of these functions
> in a non cache coherent system requires the use of something like iopa().
> We allocate a contiguous virtual space to remap the pages we wish to
> change cache attributes.  We can't find the physical addresses associated
> with these pages unless we search the page tables.  Prior to having
> consistent_* we had to do this behind the curtains and needed iopa() to
> get the proper mapping result.

Not true.  consistent_alloc() first obtains the memory with
__get_free_pages() - which will return an address within the kernel
mapping of lowmem.  So the physical address can be obtained simply by
subtracting KERNELBASE.  *Then* it allocates virtual memory to create
the new uncached mapping.

In 2.5 virt_to_bus() uses iopa() only on APUS.  consistent_alloc()
works fine.  I've now managed to boot 2.5 with nfsroot on a 405GP,
after tracking down what looks like a hardware bug.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson