problem when compiling gcc for pwerpc

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 5 20:14:22 EST 2002

Dear Vandana,

in message <20020605091527.20240.qmail at webmail9.rediffmail.com> you wrote:

> i am trying to make a crosscompiler for powerpc using the option
> powerpc-linux...

Why don't you just use existing, working tools?  Our  Embedded  Linux
Development  Kit  is  free for download, just us it. It also includes
instructions how to rebuild  from  prstine  source  files  if  you're
really in the mood to do so. See http://www.denx.de/ELDK/

> when i was trying to configure gcc for powerpc with the following
> command
> usr/src/gcc/gcc-2.96-20000731/configure --target=ppc-linux

You're heading for trouble anyway.  GCC  2.96  was  never  officially
released.  It  is a known fact that it cannot be used for instance to
compile a Linux kernel. Even if you manage to build it, you will  not
have much fun using it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to  write,  it
should be hard to understand.