Do we need tlbsx at finish_tlb_load?

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Wed Jun 5 03:49:36 EST 2002

Paul Mackerras wrote:

> If the PTE isn't valid (i.e. the _PAGE_PRESENT bit is 0) we don't put
> it into the TLB.

OK, so remove the tlbsx..........The tlb handler doesn't look like the
one I originally wrote, so whoever made the changes should have understood
and changed everything.  I'm just explaining why it was there in the first
place, maybe it isn't needed anymore.

IMHO, a tlb miss handler design should simply emulate a hardware implementation,
and fetch the PTE entries into the TLB cache as quickly and efficiently as
possible.  You are typically loading valid, ready to use PTEs in a much higher
proportion to invalid ones, and I don't like the normal fast path cluttered
by the overhead of checking the special cases that require more work.

Thanks.

	-- Dan