First cut at large page support on 40x

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jun 4 13:59:47 EST 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 08:43:43PM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:

> David Gibson wrote:
>
> >The only large-page PTEs used are created in mapin_ram() for the
> >kernel mapping of system RAM.
>
> I did a similar thing for 8xx, except I didn't change any of the existing
> mapping code.  At the end of the kernel initialization, I added a function
> to scan the page tables looking for areas we could coalesce into larger
> pages.  I would then update the PMD entry to indicate the size of the pages
> (4M or 8M in the case of 8xx) it could use to cover this space.  This way
> I could also get any I/O mapping that was done and I didn't have to
> complicate
> any of the existing mapin_ram() or other code with processor specific
> changes.
> Also, iopa() and any page lookup functions should work since the only change
> was to add control bits to the least significant part of pmd entry.

That sounds dangerous to me:  many of the kernel mappings could change
with vfree() or iounmap().  The mapping of physical RAM established in
mapin_ram() we know will be around forever.  Furthermore this way we
save a little bit of RAM, because we don't need to store the bottom
level page tables for the kernel mapping, and the TLB miss handler is
simpler and faster because like a normal PTE it can load most of the
TLB_DATA field directly from the PMD entry.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson