8260 IDMA experience?

Arto Vuori avuori at ssh.com
Mon Jun 3 23:56:37 EST 2002

Allen Curtis wrote:
> So it works but it may not be as fast as a memcpy(). Sounds like more
> testing is required to determine the overall benefit of freeing the
> processor.

Right. We are using IDMA only for accessing slow devices, so that CPU
don't need to wait for the data and can do some usefull work
simultaneously.

> > I did also notice that when i am doing memory-to-peripheral (or
> > vice-versa) transfers, IDMA corrupts simultaneous Ethernet traffic
> > unless IDMA is set to low-priority mode. Same might apply for
> > memory-to-memory transfers.
>
> What 8260 chip revision are you using? I have found lots of problems when
> rev A processors but rev C has been much better.

I have done most of my testing with revision A chips. I've had many
problems with those chips and it took some time with logic analyzer to
debug those IDMA transfers before i got them working.

Arto

--
Arto Vuori
email: avuori at ssh.com