Poor 8260 FCC Ethernet performance

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Sat Jun 1 01:51:50 EST 2002

Allen Curtis wrote:

> > The 8260 Ethernet controller needs to know about the duplex mode in which
> > the PHY operates. The driver sets it to half duplex by default, and needs
> > the feed back of the PHY to set it to full duplex.
> >
> > As you may know, the hub always operates in half duplex, while the switch
> > usually operates in full duplex, if it is directly connected to your unit,
> > and your PHY accepts to negociate to full duplex.
> >

> Yes, the source code has been modified to force full-duplex.
> (fcc_restart(dev,1) if I remember correctly :) In fact, before this change
> was made Ethernet communications did not work at all. (At least it would not
> get past bootp) I searched for something that looked like it was speed
> related but found nothing. (Other than the MII reporting)
>
> Other ideas?

Could it be an analog problem? Have you looked at the signals comming in on
a scope?

> BTW: We are using a BCM switch for our PHY. The interface to the processor
> is always full-duplex, 100BT regardless of the external connections. Hence
> the no MII PHY option.

Let me get this straight, You have no PHY, no magnet, no connector? If this
is the case are you sure your voltages on the I/O compatible?

I have thought about building a Beowolf cluster in this manner out of 8260s
just to impress my geek friends and colleages. Of course I don't have the
time or money to do it, but its fun to think about.

Good Luck

	Conn

  If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark at esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com