FW: Linux on 857T?

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Wed Jan 23 22:51:43 EST 2002

Just one dumb question: do you have branches to self in ALL the unused
exceptions (since you don't appear to be using any in your monitor, that
would be all but the reset exception)?  Is it possible you are getting a
different exception and your CPU is executing uninitialized memory (opcode
0x00xxxxxx appears to be illegal -- opcodes 0xFFxxxxxx are floating point
instructions that tend to cause floating point exceptions).

Try filling all unused memory (or at least the exception vector area) with
branches to self.  If I read my S-record file correctly, this looks like
0x48000000.  Now if your CPU decides to jump somewhere unexpected, at least
you will stop it in its tracks at the (unexpected) destination and be able
to see where it jumped to.  The question remains "why" at that point, but
you will have one more piece of the puzzle, as well as a smoking gun to
beat up your hardware guys up (to mix my metaphors :-).

If unexpected jumps are occurring, you could also try filling memory with a
jump to a routine that toggles an output line.  If you get lucky and it
works, you can trigger your logic analyzer on the output line and get a
back trace of where you were before you jumped.

Good luck, sounds like flaky hardware.  That's always the worst thing to
debug :-(.

gvb

At 06:36 PM 1/22/2002 -0700, Kerl, John wrote:

[snip]

>We have three alpha boards which are in some working order.
>Board A, let's call it, is the best one, and the one I've
>been using for all the things I discussed in my recent
>postings.  Boards B and C, on the other hand, haven't been
>"working" for a few weeks, so I pretty much forgot about
>them, as I will explain.

[major snip]