execve system call question

Derrik Weeks derrikW at iotech.com
Wed Feb 27 01:34:58 EST 2002

Hi,

This sounds like a problem I had a while back with the location of the IMMR
of on my processor.  What I discovered (via the archives of this mail list)
is the IMMR needs to be located in high memory above F0000000.  Check your
code to see if the memory map for your custom board has placed the IMMR at a
low memory address.

>From experience I know that if this is your issue, your kernel will crash
whether you're running NFS or a ram disk.  Once you move the IMMR to high
memory, you'll get to shell prompt with no problem.  I'm 75% sure you're
looking at the same situation as I was, but if not, I wish you luck in your
troubleshooting.

>From what I can tell by my limited time on this mail list, this issue has
snagged many people new to Linux.  It's apparently well known in lore that
the IMMR needs to be in high memory, it's just not particularly well
documented, although those details can be found with enough digging.

Hope this helps!
Derrik Weeks
Digital Hardware Architect
IOtech, Inc.