SDRAM is finally working

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Fri Feb 22 07:17:38 EST 2002

We have used a tool called:

	mcuinit.exe

This is available from the Motorola web site (sorry, I don't
know the URL).  It is a very nice GUI in which you twiddle
high and low values in waveforms (you see the waveforms change
before your eyes), and you try to get them to look like the
waveforms in your SDRAM vendor's data sheet.  & it generates
the magic UPM numbers which cause the UPM to generate those
waveforms at run time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald White [mailto:dbwhite at asu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 5:41 PM
To: Navin Boppuri
Cc: Linuxppc-Embedded (E-mail)
Subject: Re: SDRAM is finally working

Navin,

While I have no right to ask, could you provide a tutorial on how one
goes from the SDRAM chip specifications to the UPM words?

I did a port of HHL 2.0 to an 860 board and never felt I really
understood the SDRAM initialization.  The board manufacturer provided a
set of UPM words.  These had been used by a previous vxWorks port.  But
burst mode never worked right for either and I was never confident that
the UPM words were right.

Thanks,

Don