SCC or SMC for console ?

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at capflow.com
Sat Feb 16 00:10:52 EST 2002

>> I need 4 serial ports at runtime, and was wondering if I should rather
>> use 2SMC + 2SCC or 4 SCC (or 1SMC + 3SCC).
>
> Always use SCCs for real work and the SMC for console and other low
> speed things (like connected to low bit rate TDM).

4 SCC then, and 1 SMC for console. Both SMC1 and SMC2 I/Os are available
on the design (I only need serial ports + FEC ethernet).

I'd like to use 2 serial ports for RS232 (should be really
straightforward), and the other 2 for RS485 (with of course no flow
control). Is there something I should know ?

Laurent Pinchart