PPC405gp enet Soft Reset

andrew may acmay at acmay.homeip.net
Sat Feb 9 05:35:57 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:03:59AM +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Andrew
>
> > I seem to be having a problem with the soft reset of EMAC
> > mode register when I have no ethernet connection to by phy.
>
> We have the same problem (CPCI-405 with Intel LXT971 PHY).

It is good to see that the problem is known.

> > After this code in init_ppc405_enet(void) the SRST bit does
> > not clear until after I stick in a cable.
>
> See Chapter 19.7.1 in PPC405GP User Manual (EMAC0_MR0):

The prelim hard copies I have been looking at failed to mention
the clocks need to be active, but I did check the pdf and it is
in there, so I guees I will try to look more at the soft copy these
days.

> It seems that we can't reset and setup the EMAC correctly without cable
> connected (no cable == no PHY clock!). So what do we do when this occurs?
> Disable the driver?

Your joking right? To do that is less than a 10 line hack, that I had to do
to stop the driver from doing a panic or crashing, but I would not feel
good about sending that as a patch. The driver needs to be able to handle
this, but it will take some rework and it would be nice to know if there
is really a reason to do the SoftReset before probing the phy.