"Standard" Practice for config of SanDisk compact pci memory for 405gpppc

Chris Hallinan clh at net1plus.com
Wed Dec 25 04:10:59 EST 2002

I just completed a configuration for the Sandisk CompactFlash in the
"PC Card Memory" mode.  Since our hardware doesn't have an IDE
controller, the "easy" way (true IDE mode) was not available to us.
However, the configuration to get the CompactFlash to work in the PC
Card Memory mode was pretty trivial, requiring virtually no code
changes, only correct hardware configuration and proper config
values in our board-specific header file.

Specifically, we wired CE1 to be the chip select, and for the time
being, we have ignored CE2.  We are using the MPC8245's extended ROM
interface in 8-bit mode using RCS2 as chip select, routed to CE1.
This gives access to the 'ide' register file at our base address.
Note you need slightly more complex chip select logic if you intend
to use it in 16-bit mode since the data port and error register
overlap in the memory space in 16-bit mode.  In that case, you must
use CE2 to select between the error register and data port in 16-bit
mode.  Since our application did not need the performace, we opted
for the cheap and easy way out: just use it in 8-bit mode.

This required a very slight modification in the input_data() and
input_swap() data routines, but the changes were trivial.

I'm not at work this week, but if anyone is interested, next week
I'll forward my config from my board-specific header and more
details on the h/w hookup for anyone interested, as well as a patch
to the above mentioned routines.

-Chris Hallinan
DS4.COM, Inc.