doubt in arch/ppc/8260_io/uart.c

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Tue Dec 24 07:15:43 EST 2002

Omanakuttan wrote:

> Hi,
> in kernel 2.4.17, arch/ppc/8260/uart.c contains the following lines in
> rs_8xx_stop()
> {
> sccp->scc_sccm &= ~UART_SCCM_TX;
> }

The start/stop functions enable/disable interrupts.  Clearing the TX bit
in the interrupt mask causes that interrupt to be disabled.

> UART_SCCM_TX is defined to 0x00000020
> i.e, only the TX bit is 1
>
> Now the manual (MPC8260UM.pdf) states that clearing a bit is 1 for both
> SCCE and SCCM. Following it, what I understand is the above C statement
> clears all the bits of ccp->scc_sccm except TX bit.

No, the C statement above leaves all bits set (that were set) except
the TX bit.

> Then how does it stop the SCC/SCM?

It doesn't stop the SCC, it only stops the interrupt from being delivered
to the driver.

	-- Dan